The rise and rise of alternatives to traditional hotel accommodation is changing the investment landscape for what had been a specialised and exclusive real estate segment. Hotel Analyst, the definitive source of information for hotel investors for more than a decade, is launching a new event to highlight the issues.
New accommodation types – such as capsule hotels, hostels and serviced apartments – are emerging as direct threats to hotels. Other traditionally separate asset classes such as student accommodation, timeshare and the private rented sector are entering the short-term letting space as well.
The new threats are being facilitated by the sharing economy as websites like Airbnb and Housetrip enable the emerging accommodation providers to cost effectively market to a wide audience of potential guests.
Senior people that joined Hotel Alternative Event 2018 as speakers and attendees:
- James Miller, Partner, CMS (Host)
- Alice Grocott, Business Development Manager – Real Estate, CMS (Host)
- Andrew Sangster, Editorial Director, Hotel Analyst (Moderator)
- Adela Cristea, Development UK & Ireland at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
- Asli Kutlucan, Partner- Development and Acquisition, Cycas Hospitality
- Lisa Neubueser, Hotel Acquisitions and Development at Cycas Hospitality
- Liz Callaghan, Head of Revenue, Cheval Residences
- Ivo Gospodinov, Director at WinwInnKeeper
- Henri Wilmes, Hospitality Investment, A & O Hotels and Hostels (tbc)
- Doug Greenwood, Director of Sales and Marketing at Cheval Residences Serviced Apartments
- Thomas Mielke, Managing Director, AETHOS Consulting Group
- Andrew Reitmaier, Business Development Director, Oakwood Worldwide
- Eric Kennedy, Partner, Howard Kennedy
- Marcel Lindt, Director of Business Development EMEA, Frasers Hospitality UK
- Patrick Angwin, Director, Horwath
- Rishi Pabari, Tax Director, EY – Real Estate and Hospitality
- Siobhan Gall, Senior Manager Hotels, HSBC
- Alex Mavridis Hotel Solutions Partnership
- Ben Taylor, Partner, Proskauer
- Joanne Owen, Partner, Proskauer
Companies that attended 2018: Aethos Consulting; AKA; Allianz Real Estate Germany; Al Marjan Island; AHV Associates; APG | Asset Management; Association of Serviced Apartment Providers; Ascott International Management; Avvio; Azora Group; Brickowner; BHA; BDRC; Bridgestreet; CBRE; Cheval Residences; Christie & Co; CityHub; Clydesdale Bank; Code Pod Hostel; Colliers; CMS; Cycas Capital; Dexter Moren Associates; Deutsche Asset Management; Eastdil Secured; Easyhotel; EPIC Private Equity; EQT Partners; FREO Group UK; Generator Hostels; Gerard Nolan Associates; GraceMark Investment; Grace Leo Consultancy; Graham Associates; Greenpark Hotels & Resorts India; Greystar; Grenadier; Guestline; Herald Hotels; Hilton Worldwide; HOFTEL; HOSPA; Hostelling International USA; Hospitality Impact; Homestay; Hostmaker; Hostelworld; Horwath; Hotel Solutions Partnership; Hotel Management and Real Estate Development; Howard Kennedy; HVS; Hyatt Hotels Corporation ; Hypnos Contract Beds; IHG; Il Prisma; Jansons; Jenics; Katten Muchin Rosenman; LHG; Lowry Group; Marriott; Mason Hayes & Curran; Meininger; Movenpick Hotels; Neilson Active Holidays; Northern Powerhouse; Norvo SL; Oaknorth; Oakwood Worldwide; Passionality Group; Patron Capital; Pinsent Masons; Proskauer; Queensgate Investments; Rezidor Hotel Group; Safestay; Savills; Saxbury; Select Resorts; Serviced Apartment News; Sir Richard Sutton Ltd; Sonder Europe; Southern Grove; Staycity; Staybridge Suites; STR Capital Partners; Student Hotel; Strutt & Parker; Taylor Wessing; The Collective; The Montcalm; TowerEight; TPG Europe; Union Investment Real Estate; Veeve; Vienna International Hotelmanagement AG; Watson Farley & Williams; WeWash GmbH; Westbridge Asset Management; Whitbread; WinWinnKeeper; Wyndham; Yotel.